Happy Friday! I am so excited for the weekend. This morning we had Ella’s kindergarten play, and it was the cutest thing in the whole entire world.Halfway through she looked bored and kept yawning. She’s totally her father’s daughter!
Hope you enjoy my picks of the week:
It’s Friday, so I thought it wine would be a good place to start! Apothic Red, guys. It’s a red wine blend of Syrah, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon, and I bought a case of it to get me through the winter! With this crazy March weather I am having my last red wine moments of the season before spring hits. I find this pairs well with anything, it’s rich, full bodied, and has a great price point. The reds I usually love are in the $20-$30 range, and this one is only $12.00 and I love it! I may have to introduce you to my most favorite cabernet ever next week though if the weather is still cold!
2. Salt Lamps: Do They Work?
I love my Himalayan salt lamp. It’s literally a huge hunk of Himalayan Salt that has been hand carved with a light bulb inside. I love how beautiful they are, and so does my husband. I got mine from here and would highly recommend it! I find it very calming and relaxing, which was the main reason I got one to begin with. It’s amazing for meditation, or to sit next to in a dark room with a mug of tea or a glass of wine. I’ve seen a lot of claims in articles that I found interesting, but wanted to do some digging. Honestly, I haven’t noticed anything other than the calming effects, and we also constantly diffuse essential oils (which I HAVE seen tons of benefits, and there is science behind, so it would be hard to notice what the lamp was doing).
What are they supposed to do? Many sources claim that salt lamps are natural negative ion generators, but all the electronics we have in the home counter that, so you’re supposed to unplug and have a salt lamp in every room to make up for it. There really isn’t much scientific evidence to prove this, just a few small studies have indicated that negative ionization can be beneficial to health in specific circumstances (like seasonal affective disorder/SAD).
The soothing glow of the lamp may help you feel more relaxed and at ease. It is important to dim your lights and limit electronics at night, so shutting off all the lights and allowing the salt lamp to glow in the dark room while you relax or meditate at night may definitely benefit you … maybe helping you to sleep better, and lower overall stress. I have heard of people claiming they never slept well until they got one in their room, so even if there isn’t science to back it up it doesn’t mean that they don’t have benefits for individuals (even if it is a placebo, it is still beneficial if you sleep or reduce stress, right?). We do not keep one in the bedroom since my husband and I both need complete darkness to sleep, but I have friends who love it!
Overall, I recommend them because they are cool and calming and give the room a nice energy, but I would not get too wrapped up in it curing anything.
3. Primal Kitchen Mayo
Mustard and Mayo are dirty words in my house. When I moved in with my husband he told me that I cannot keep either in the fridge, haha. Well, too bad. I was actually never a mayo person. I always used things like dijon mustard and Greek yogurt or avocado for tuna salad. However, this stuff is bomb and my kids love it! It isn’t gross like regular mayo to me. It is kind of pricey, but I only use a little bit at a time for tuna salad, egg salad, chicken salad and maybe aoili! I get it on Amazon, but REALLY want to try my hand at making my own to save dollars. In the meantime, this works and is so tasty.
4. Something to Read:
The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
I first read this book when I took my yoga teacher training almost 5 years ago. It is great, a very fast read, and something to keep on the coffee table and pick up every now and then! Here is a summary of The Four Agreements:
- Be Impeccable With Your Word:
Your word is your power that you have to create. Speak with integrity and say only what you mean, do not use your word to speak poorly about yourself or others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love, not anger, jealously, or hate.
2. Don’t Take Anything Personally:
This is a tough one to accept, but it is truth. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, and has nothing to do with you. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering. Even when we know this intelligently, it is hard to really grasp it when we try so hard to find reasons for other people’s behavior, especially when it is towards you.
3. Don’t Make Assumptions: I will say this is one agreement I struggled with most of my life. Always assuming the outcome or what someone will say before even asking or having a conversation. My throat chakra needed love for sure. Finding the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want will help you to communicate more clearly with others, avoiding misunderstandings, sadness, and drama. This is one agreement that can transform your life for sure. Applying this to my life has changed mine!
4. Always Do Your Best: The fourth agreement is about the action of the first three, and will allow them to become ingrained habits. Doing your best is going to change from moment to moment; under many different circumstances. Stop being hard on yourself and simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret. We are all our own worst critics, but by letting go of the self-criticism and self-judgement, you are going to be happier as a result. Being good to yourself will make you happy and productive. Accept what your best is at the present moment, and know that you will have to adjust those standards accordingly at any time. Doing your best is a great habit to have.
5. Beauty & The Beast
I have been waiting for MONTHS and am so excited it was released last weekend!Can we talk about how Emma Watson pretty much perfectly embodies Belle? I cannot wait to take Ella to see this! Who has gone? What did you think?
Have a great weekend, everyone! Talk to you Monday! I would love to hear your thoughts on today’s topics, or ideas for future Friday 5 Posts! I want to do more yoga related stuff with my girl KFred soon!