If you go pumpkin crazy once the leaves start to fall then today’s recipe is going to be perfect for you! This porridge is grain-free, gluten-free and loaded with healthy fats!
Grain-Free Pumpkin Porridge
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1/2 Tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 Tablespoons hemp hearts (shelled hemp seeds)
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2-1 cup home made cashew milk (add more or less as needed)
- 1 egg (organic, pasture raised, soy-free best)
- 2 Tablespoons pumpkin puree (use BPA-free canned pumpkin or home made, I got Farmer’s Market brand canned pumpkin at Whole Foods with BPA-free lining)
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon (or more) cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a pinch of sea salt
- Optional add-ins: 1 TBSP sunflower seed butter, almond butter, unsweetened coconut flakes, raw cacao nibs or full-fat “approved” Greek yogurt, or even a few teaspoons coconut butter
Whisk dry ingredients together. Add to a small saucepan with about 1/4 cup of cashew-hemp milk, pumpkin and egg and whisk very quickly. Keep adding liquid as it fluffs up, until you reach a desired consistency. Make sure you are whisking quickly so the egg gets completely dissolved (you don’t want it to be “eggy” at all, you shouldn’t even know it is there). Cook for 6-10 minutes at a simmer, stirring very often. Top with sunflower seed butter, almond butter, or Greek yogurt. Enjoy!