Today’s recipe is a must-have staple to add some zing to any meal! It’s easy to make, and goes great with eggs of any style (scrambled, omelet, hard boiled), perfect for a quick guacamole (just add avocado), or awesome mixed with sardines, shredded chicken or tuna fish!
To this day, my Nona makes the BEST homemade salsa. As the weather heats up, you will find her bringing a big batch of this to most family gatherings. The last time she made it, my 9-month-old son and I devoured the leftovers in a week. I could eat this up with a spoon! The key is letting all of the flavors marinade on your counter for a while. Then … salsa heaven!
- 5 pounds plum tomatoes diced, seeded, and placed over colander to drain liquid
- 1 small sweet white onion minced (or 1 bunch scallions, diced)
- 4 small limes juiced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper seeded and diced
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro minced
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar Bragg’s “with mother” for added health benefits
- 1 TBSP liquid red pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
Stir all ingredients together. Let salsa marinate at room temperature for about an hour then drain off excess liquid and refrigerate. Add more lemon and lime and/or salt and pepper as needed.