Recently I was chatting with some of my yoga students before class about coffee, and one student mentioned how incredible Kohana coffee was. She had it while in Hawaii and loved it so much she had to order more when she got home.
It was ironic because I had just entered a recipe contest with Kohana! They sent me their organic cold brew to play with … and I must tell you, this is literally the tastiest coffee I have ever had (and I am picky when it comes to coffee.)
Victoria Lynden, the founder and CEO of Kohana shares her story here, stating:
“I set out to learn how to create the most delicious, honest and true coffee possible, rich and satisfying and personal for everyone who drank it. Made in a fashion that was good and giving back to our earth.
In my journey to bring slow-roasted, beautifully blended coffee to all my customers, I learned about the Kohana, the small flower with long elegant white petals that unfolds to trumpet the arrival of the coffee bean. I traveled to organic coffee farms to soak in the history and experience that creates the best raw beans in the most organic way. We watched and worked with the world’s finest roasters and processors, artisans large and small who roast integrity in every careful complex step. To the final rich cup.”
This shelf-stable, carefully sourced cold-brew coffee is naturally sweet (it can be stored unopened for a year!). It perfect for iced coffee, smoothies, sauces, marinades, cocktails and shakes.
I LOVE my homemade coffee smoothies. Especially in the summer when I am too hot for regular coffee. When I was trying to think of something new to make for the recipe contest, I said to myself, why mess with perfection? I have never made a smoothie with a cold-brew coffee like Kohana, I always use coffee beans, and I think this was so much better!
It was love at first sip for me.
Kohana Iced Coffee Protein Smoothie
- 1 1/2 cups Coconut Milk, Grass-fed raw milk, or other milk of choice
- 1/4 cup Kohana Organic Cold Brew Original Coffee
- 1 very ripe frozen banana (freeze in chunks)
- 1/4 cup grass-fed whey protein (optional)
- 2 TBSP collagen hydrolysate
- 2 TBSP raw cacao powder
- 2 dashes of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy immediately!
About the supplements I add to my shakes for added nutritional benefits:
- I add a protein powder with only 1 ingredient (no fillers, no stevia, no flavoring, no junk!). It is cold-processed, 100% Pure Grass Fed whey protein from the milk of jersey cows that graze freely on lush, green pastures year round. These small-farm cows are not only healthier but we believe happier too!
- Highest Quality, Cold Processed, NON-GMO, A2 Milk, Soy Free, rBGH/rBST Hormone Free, Gluten Free, Grass Fed, Heavy Metal Free
- Collagen hydrolysate is an amazing supplement that is supportive of hair, skin and nail growth, joint health, and encourages skin elasticity and reduce the signs of aging. It also may improve digestion and is a good protein source.
The Kohana Coffee deserves the best marriage of ingredients in this recipe! I love pairing super foods together that will help sustain my hunger and give my body some good stuff after a hard workout or when I am just busy running around without time to sit down for a meal!
… and let me know if you give it a whirl!