If you‘re drinking coffee each day, it is incredibly important that you choose the right kind. Did you know that the coffee bean is one of the most heavily sprayed crops with pesticides? This isn’t something you can wash off. Believe it or not, coffee has the most pesticides of any food on this earth. Let that sink in a bit, and let’s be perfectly clear: you can’t find any other plant in the world that has a higher toxicity of pesticides than coffee.
It is so heavily treated with chemicals and fertilizers that it is even proving deadly in crop workers in many countries. Studies have shown over a thousand chemicals in coffee! Think about that next time you pull up to Dunkin’ Donuts or Wawa! I don’t care if you‘re getting black coffee there every day, save some money and your health by brewing your own fair-trade organic beans at home.
Here is what’s happening when you consume conventional coffee every day:
- You are consuming residue from chemical fertilizers, insecticides, herbicides and fungicides.
- You are supporting the serious environmental impact on Latin America’s forestry and habitat for different types of birds, reptiles, insects as well as plant species.
- Chemical residues in coffee beans have a multitude of side effects; hormonal issues, weight gain, birth defects, cancer.
- The chemicals in coffee are known to weaken the immune system, making you more susceptible to getting sick.
- Decaffeinated coffee will often uses a chemical process to remove the caffeine which can make it even dirtier than regular!
Is a $4.00 cup of coffee really worth all that??? I am IN LOVE with this brand (Fair-trade, organic, low acid). It is sold locally to me and only $13.00 for a 16 ounce bag, which takes me about 6 weeks to get through. If you stop at Starbucks daily that is about $28.00 per week. Do the math!